Translate

Saturday, May 31, 2014

It was like fire and ice


As you all know, Yom Hazikaron and Yom Haatzmaut are back to back. It's a crazy transition!
The night Yom Hazikaron started we went to a Masa event at Letrune
Natan Shiransky spoke which was pretty cool. Different fallen soldiers were being acknowledged for their outstanding acccomplishents. I left this event with such a sense of pride and inspiration. These people were more or less my age and they changed the world! Michael Levine really sticks out to me (I highly recommend watching his documentary) He was a seemingly regular kid like me who loved Israel. He wanted to go into the army but he was too small. Since he couldn't get in, he climbed into a window on the second floor by standing on a dumpster. When we snuck into the office they asked him for his paper work. " What do you mean you have no papers? You can't get in through the front door without them!"

"Who says I came in through the front door?"

This story is always there in my mind reminding me that if I really want something, no matter how big, I can go for it and get it if I want it enough. 

The morning of Yom Hazikaron we went to Har Hertzl, the military Cemetary. 
There were thousands of people there. These people weren't like me. They were visiting their fallen friends and family. During the national siren, everything just froze. I saw soldiers salute by their friends graves, family members with blank stares, if not tears. 
We spent a few hours there. Bibi spoke...
A couple of friends and I walked around visiting graves. I got to speak to Michael Levines mom and thanked her for raising such an inspirational son. So many people were motivated to join the army by him! It's really incredible what one person can do. 
We spoke to family members of many fallen soldiers and heard tons of stories about determination, courage, and bravery. 
Before we left we went to Yoni Netanyahu's grave. A couple of soldiers a few years older than us were there too. By this time the Cemetary was almost empty. We spoke to them about their experiences, motives and future plans. Turns out that these guys were inspired to enlist by Michael Levine who was inspired by Yoni. It came full circle. 
For the rest of the day I felt this pang of guilt inside of me. Why don't I live here?



Yom Hazikaron in Israel with our people is the only way to spend it!!!!
I also recommend the Roi Klein documentary omg so good 

So Yom Haatzmaut. Ahhh amazing 
For the night part we went to some concert in Efrat. Whole world was there. And a lot of flags

During the day we went to Vicky and Rav Berglases house in Neve Aliza which is a settlement that THEY STARTED. They founded my school btw. Amazing people wow
There was a band and we danced in the street and had amazin food 
We played a surprisingly good softball game and then Vicky told us her life story and Aliyah story. I want to be her!!!!!!!!! 
I'm just so happy I get to live in a time that prophecies are coming true! Israel is a state, people dance in the streets and live freely in Israel. 
It's the best place In the world. I never want to leave 😭



No comments:

Post a Comment