Translate

Friday, September 27, 2013

Is this real life?

So I'm in Machane Yehuda with a couple of friends on a really busy Friday afternoon. I buy a plum k cool. I walk another 3 minutes to buy some ground cinnamon. Why isn't my wallet in my bag?! (I actually yelled out at the chashier in Hebrew which was a pretty natural thing so that's a cool side note) 
I retraced my steps maybe 9 times up and down the few stores that I passed. I asked the shopkeepers if they saw anything but no of course not. I started to get worried so I immediately called to cancel my credit card. This was right after I had refilled my Israeli metro card (using my bank card) with a ton of rides to last a month. So ברוךה׳ I was able to cancel that transaction as well. So now I'm missing a few hundred shekel, my metro, my Drivers license, school ID, health Israeli insurance card, and other items. Frieda Benun called me while I was retracing my steps and I told her what happened and that I needed money to get around. She said she'd come right away. I sat down to calm down and read the following.
I didn't have tzedaka to give but I did give like 37 cents that morning because I wanted to get rid of my American coins. 
I went to go meet Frieda. Phone rings. "Hi this is John I found your wallet" Oh my Hashem whattttttt
I ran around to go get it. He was an Israeli religious man with kids. I opened t up right away with the intentions of giving him 20 shek for everything he had done. However, all of my money was gone and so was my transportation card.
 He found my wallet in a bathroom. (So I guess I was pick-pocketed) Whoever stole it took it there and took all of my money and my card. See? Good thing I cancelled it. I didn't even care about the money. I just wanted my ID and everything. How did this man find my phone number? I was certain that it wasn't anywhere in my wallet.
He saw my school ID, called and got my phone # from the secretary. He actually put effort into returning what was mine. 
He and his wife asked me how I was gonna get around for the rest of the day, and they stumped me. (I told Frieda to go without me) They forced me to take some money from them. I have their phone # so I'll mail it back eventually.
The reason I shared this story is because I think a lot can be learned from it.
First of all we can appreciate Israel and it's people. It's really not likely that someone would go through all of that and then wait for me to come pick it up. 
Second, the power of prayer. I prayed that I would find it and I did. Isn't that enough said already? It's a little bit more intense than that for me. See I bought this book called Praying With Fire and you're supposed to read a page a day before tefillah. (I highly recommend it). For the past week or so I got a little bit lazy since I'm on vacation and I skipped a few days. Today taught me not to underestimate the power of prayer. I swear by it. 
Third is friends. Just appreciate. Frieda paused her day for me to come and give me money and help me get around. Sometimes we take Friends for granted and we don't realize how much they do or care about us. Love you Frieda hahah

 It's not the wallet that was driving me nuts. It was the fact that I had it two seconds ago and then it was just gone in a snap. I took this as a small hint from Hashem that things in your life can change within seconds.

I hope you took something away from this 
Peace y'all 

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the real world! So glad there was a happy ending and happy you had a fun vacay! We miyou!!!!

    ReplyDelete