Translate

Sunday, August 25, 2013

First day of class

Wow so long day
I am sooooo happy with the classes I chose. They aren't really so religious I picked more philosophical and spiritual shiurim. At some points during lessons I was ready to jump out of my chair because I was so happy to learn the way we learn. It's for ourselves and not a test and the notes I'm taking are to review for life. Not because I have to spit it back later on. 
I don't really agree with a lot of the teachers but I like the challenge and the change of perspective. 
Funniest thing ever was signing up for Ulpan which is a Hebrew class. I'm totally switching out of that one. We were literally learning first grade Hebrew and we couldn't stop laughing the whole time. I'm gonna take something else instead and read the Israeli newspaper with a dictionary. The best way to learn a language is to get out there and speak so I guess I'll also have lunch with the teacher and speak in Hebrew. 

So I really never thought of myself as a typical Syrian (cuz I'm not) but its crazy how much it comes out around these ashkenaz girls. The culture is so different like I was explaining how we make our fiancés a kuratcha and they thought it was absurd. That's just something really small but I won't get into it. Oh and everyone knows everyone from camp which is a thing apparently. 

It's so great to get out of the bubble and make new friends with a different mindset. They're so down to earth and I've really been bonding with girls over actual intellectual topics rather than materialistic ones. 
Not that my friends at home are materialistic it's just not common I have a deep conversation with someone I met a few days ago. Ja feel?



3 comments: